2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jamal Jones, RB, Arkansas State University
- Name: Jamal Jones
- Height: 5’7”
- Weight: 200
- Position: Running Back
- College: Arkansas State University
- Twitter: @jamaljones16
- Instagram: @jamal_jones21
- Hometown: Memphis, TN
What is the best restaurant in your hometown city?
- Blue City Cafe
When breaking down your film what will stick out?
- Effort without the ball
- Downhill runner
- Strain for extra yards
If you won the lotto, what is the first thing you would do with the money?
- Invest. I want the money to last for a long time and investing is the way to go.
What has been your biggest failure?
- Watching friends that I’ve grown up with go down a dark path. I grew up in a bad part of Memphis. But I got out. I hate that I couldn’t spark that same motivation to do better within my peers.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- I am a natural leader and I make people laugh. People are naturally drawn to me and listen when I talk.
Who is the hardest working teammate on your team?
- Layne Hatcher – QB
Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
- Jamayonnaise – my sister in law likes to get under my skin, and now she has the whole family calling me Jamayonnaise.
What is your degree in, if you do not make it as a football player, what is your dream job?
- I have a bachelor’s degree in Communication. I have a Master’s degree in Sports Administration. My dream job is to be a college football coach. I have a passion for teaching and mentoring young athletes. It is something that I have always found to enjoy and something that I can see myself doing as a career.
What is your coolest life moment?
- I had the opportunity to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain during the summer of one year. It was the coolest time I have ever had. The culture was amazing and learning about all of the histories of the city is something that I will never forget.
What song would you sing at Karaoke night?
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton. That is a song that people always request me to sing, and it’s a great song.
If you could pick any actor to play you in a movie, who are you picking?
- Tyrese or Taye Diggs
Who is your favorite football team?
- My favorite team is the team that I am playing on. Haha – but I really like the Dallas Cowboys
If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
- Just because I am smiling, doesn’t mean I am happy
What is your biggest fear?
- Having regrets – I want to take advantage of every opportunity that is provided for me.
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
- JD McKissic – Washington Football Team
Take us through game day, How do you prepare?
- I look at the other team’s roster, then ball it up and throw it in the trash. I get in the shower and listen to my gospel music. I get out of the shower and look at the game plan, ball it up, and throw it in the trash. I eat a big breakfast. I go back to the room and listen to meditation music until 10 minutes before the game. Then I crank up my ‘x-games mode’ playlist while I stretch and warm-up. On the way onto the field, I have one of my teammates slap me. It’s game time.
Do you have any hobbies?
- I love music. I have multiple guitars and I own a piano. I have always loved music. It is something that I can just pick up and play. I’ve never had any lessons, and I can’t read music, but if you want to hear a song…give me 5 minutes to figure it out.
If you had to compare yourself to someone in the NFL, who would that be?
- Mark Ingram – yards after contact , we are both physical runners
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- The biggest influence in my life has been my high school football coach Teli White. He taught me true courage and common sense. He groomed me into a detailed and physical football player and mentored me into becoming a hard-working and patient man.
What motivates you to work hard?
- Myself. I have a ton of intrinsic motivation, something that I have always had. I am the only one who has control of my future and I will do what I can to be successful.