2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Matt Watson, CB, Mount Allison University
• Name: Matt Watson
• Height: 5’11
• Weight: 200
• Position: CB
• College: Mount Allison University
• Twitter: @mwatson_27
What is the best restaurant in your hometown city?
• I don’t really go to restaurants when i’m in Brampton, but in Sackville definitely Joeys is the best.
When breaking down your film what will stick out?
• I would say my speed and how physical I play.
If you won the lotto, what is the first thing you would do with the money?
• I would buy a tiny house on a lake, and a bunch of dogs.
What has been your biggest failure? • My biggest failure would be last year we completely turned the season around after starting 0-4 and made it to the playoffs and I was so sure we were going to make it to the Loney Bowl and beat Acadia because we almost did the week before. But we lost to a team we should have beat in the semi finals and did not even get another shot at Acadia which was really disappointing for me and my teammates because by the end of the year we all truly believed we were the best team in the east.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• They would say my work ethic because I am always training in the gym or running and getting better.
Who is the hardest working teammate on your team?
•A lot of guys come to mind because most of the guys do extra training on top of our team workouts, but usually the guy with the idea would be Graeme Stevens like he’s the type of guy in the winter if we don’t have morning runs to be like “lets still get up at 6 am and go do stairs for an hour before classes” but overall all my teammates are hard workers so were lucky in that sense.
Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
• I’ve had lots over the years but the most recent is Bear Watson, because i’m always going on about how great bears are they are my favorite animal and it works well with football because when a bear mauls someone it kind of looks like one of my football hits or tackles.
What is your degree in, if you do not make it as a football player, what is your dream job?
• I’m majoring in History and my dream job other than football would be a firefighter because I think it is similar to football with the kind of brotherhood atmosphere and I think i could be really good at it.
Check out NFL Draft Diamonds 2021 Small School Rankings
What is your coolest life moment?
• I would say my visit to MTA, I wasn’t heavily recruited out of high school, so when Coach Brady brought me here it was my first taste of University life and I was staying at the starting corner at the times house and we went to a party and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever.
What song would you sing at Karaoke night?
• Anything by Shakira.
If you could pick any actor to play you in a movie, who are you picking?
• We don’t really look alike but I love Brad Pitt and him in that movie Troy. So I think he could do a really good job.
Who is your favourite football team?
• NY Jets, I started watching football when they had Tomlinson and Revis, so I was all for it but we have had some rough years since then.
What is your biggest fear?
• To not get a chance with a team and it being over before i get a chance to prove I belong.
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Jeff Heath, he doesn’t get much credit but he can play and he hits hard and can run.
Take us through game day, How do you prepare?
• For home games I always wake up early and walk my dog to subway and get a pre-game sub. Then I go to the field and relax my mind and body and start thinking about the game before its time to get ready and go.
Do you have any hobbies?
• I’m really fascinated with martial arts so whenever i’m not doing football things I like to watch videos and practice my kicks and submissions.
If you had to compare yourself to someone in the NFL, who would that be?
• Definitely Jeff Heath, he’s a small school guy who’s fast and physical and I like to model my game after him.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My father because he’s always believed I could make it far in football, even when I was in grade 9 and 5’1 he’s like you’ll grow and you can do this just keep working hard and I did.
What motivates you to work hard?
• My head does not shut off when I take a day off I feel like I get slower or weaker. So I like to train one of those every day to make me feel like I am getting better. I feel like if you don’t get better, you get worse, there is no constant and if I am not getting better my head tells me that over and over again until I train and get better.