NFL DraftProspect Interviews
2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Darius Hawkins, DB, University of Central Oklahoma
- Name: Darius Hawkins
- Position: DB
- College: University of Central Oklahoma
- Height: 5’10”
- Weight: 195 lbs
- Twitter: @Hawk_5inco
1.What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- My older brother and all the men on my dad’s side played football so I always wore and helmet and carried a football around at a young age.
2.What are your favorite things about playing football for Central Oklahoma?
- The teammates around me are fun guys to play with.
3.If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Jalen Ramsey, and because I’d like to see how he thinks about football before a game and watch how he prepares for the game with film study and game-day habits.
4.What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- I’m more of a calm focused player but bring energy with the plays I make on the field.
5.What are your favorite moments from your football life?
- Winning little league championships, and also winning the conference championship at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M in 2017.
6.What should we know about Darius Hawkins the person?
- That I am a very laid-back person and easy to get along with maybe quiet at first but once I get to know you I am very hilarious to be around. Very motivational person to come to for advice and encouraging words. I also love to play video games in my free time.
7.What is your typical training routine?
- I usually start off with speed work, cone drills, position drills, getting out of breaks , and ball drills.
8.What do you love about the game of football?
- I love the energy that game day brings, and the excitement of making plays with teammates. I also love how football brings people together for one common goal and the life lessons that comes with it.
9.What is your favorite coverage and why?
- My favorite coverage is man coverage at nickel because you have the ability to shut down a WRs route and get PBUs. At safety, I like to cover 3 because if you are a low safety you can bait QBs on the curl flats, and also at high safety you can cover multiple routes in the middle of the field and get interceptions.
10.What would a team get in a player like you?
- They will get a skillful physical DB that can tackle in open space and make plays on the ball, also I can play anywhere in the secondary.
11.What is a moment that improved you as a football player?
- Between the 2017-2018 off-season coming of being a starter in JUCO we got a new defensive coordinator and I went from playing to 3rd on the depth chart during that time it made me just grind harder staying after practice and learning more about my opponents and when I got my chance to start towards the end of the season I was a better player in coverage shutting down top WR’s in the conference week in and week out because I worked on my coverage every day after practice.
12.How do you handle challenges both in life and on the football field?
- I pray about everything I have a strong faith in God even on the field I pray about it and I communicate with close peers family, and or coaches.