2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Critt Johnson, OT, University of Albany
- Name: Critt Johnson
- Height: 6’6”
- Weight: 305
- Position: OT
- College: VMI/UAlbany
- Twitter: @crittenden88
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- Virginia Beach, VA is my hometown and it is a decent sized city with the beach near by and I like the slower pace of the city compared to the really big cities.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Strength and Conditioning first because you need the power and endurance to execute on the field, next is practice because you need to work your technique in real time, and then Film Study so you can visually see what youre doing wrong and then correct it on the field.
What do you worry about, and why?
- Where I will be in 6 months from now and what I will be doing, because there are so many different possibilities and will be completely on my own soon.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- Junior year at VMI I was named the starter at the start of the fall camp that year, but I eventually lost the job due to being nervous and having overthinking. I was then second string and only got in games every 4th series after that. I was sad and mad that I had let that opportunity slip, but I had two options, one was mope about it, the other was to try and get better and maybe win my starting job back that season. So I chose the second option, but didn’t get the starting job until next year.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- If they had to choose one I would have to say reliability. I show up to every practice, meeting, and lift on time. Play every snap and practice in every practice.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Jared Verse
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- Probably a medical device salesman or work in construction
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
- My room
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I would say my family member because you know and love that person and I don’t know those strangers. I am sure those strangers are loved as well but if I have to do the saving, I have to think about my family first.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Michael Weston from Burn Notice. He was an ex-CIAspy who knew how to get out of any situation and had knowledge on subjects most people don’t think about.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- Not having started or played much or started until my senior year at VMI. I dealt with it by just putting my head down and grinding every day. Trying to 1% better no matter the circumstances. VMI not being the easiest of schools made the situation worse, but I kept with it and eventually won the starting job.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Having to ask a girl to junior prom in front of 60+ people. I am better at public speaking now but at the time it was my most embarrassing and nerve wracking moment.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- 2019, my senior year at VMI, to put the game away against Citadel, our first win against them in about 11 years, we beat and all out blitz with a quick slant that went to the house and just running down the field celebrating with my RG, roommate and best friend.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Taking care of business- BTO
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- Work ethic, because even if you aren’t the biggest, strongest, most athletic guy, if you can work hard every day and want to learn how to get better I think it will give you a good chance to succeed.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- Probably Alexander the Great, to hear all the battles, places and knowledge he obtained through his short years of life.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Dance Dance Disco
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
- Chris Hogan
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- Respected, because who cares if someone likes you, if you aren’t respected by people, they may not always be their true selves around you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- His career wasn’t really derailed I would say but Ricky Williams. He was just dealing with some stuff and having been a fan of his when he played for the Dolphins I was sad when he didn’t play for them anymore but when I saw his 30 for 30 I understood it more as to why he left.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I would say I hate to lose because these last 5 years in college I have lost a lot more than I have won and I hated it