2020 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Cecil Cherry, LB, UT-Martin
- Name: Cecil Cherry
- Height: 6’0
- Weight: 235
- Position: LB
- College: Tennessee Martin
- Twitter: @Cecil_cherry4
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I’m from Frostproof Florida. One thing I love about my community we a small town trying to make it out of Lake View Park. The community is mostly family members we learn early how to get it out the mud.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Flim- The most important thing. Study your opponent and not just studying on my position also special teams too. You got to know the assignment and alignment also how to be alert and ready to attack. So studying the film really help out a lot. Studying all film even special teams just important. It’s a major key to helping your teammate realize I’m being unselfish and doing whatever helps the team win.
Conditioning you have to be in shape. The most important part of everything. The goal is to be in the top shape then just beginning average you got to out work everyone.
The practice is another key part. The coaches give us what we need to learn to be able to compete at the highest level. As a player we got to show the coaches we realize the knowledge and install that we learned. The small details most important so you got to find out what’s the key success on making everything work that the coach install and help your team win.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I’m really not worried. I’m leaving everything in God’s hands and focusing on helping Tennessee Martin win a championship and handle business. Keeping Faith is a major key I will not loose letting God control my path.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• When I failed I have to believe and grind harder. Adversity help you got to believe and never lose faith. Things never change overnight but learning from mistakes is the best progress in life.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• My teammates usually are in press with my coverage and how I got the speed and hit a ball carrier. Most people be like a brother you hit too hard do you be feeling it. Then they are impressed with how I play special teams on top of Middle Backer helping the team win.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• To be honest I played against everyone and with everyone so I played with elite talent and against so it’s hard to say. I know Florida State was a good team.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• My Career would be working and a funeral home. I want to be a funeral dictator one day after football.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• I clean my room first. Also, clean my car a lot just because you never know who’s getting in or where you going at.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• I would save them just because of my caring heart but other than that it would be hard to say by the family because all my family we close.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Sanford and Son -Red Fox just because I grew up watching that show plus my middle name Sanford.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• The biggest adversity had to pay bills and pay for 3 classes to graduate in the fall. After I stopped playing ball I had to pay for 3 classes to be available to be on graduations list in the spring. I took 24 hours in fall and paid for 2 other classes in spring took 23 to make sure I graduate to have an opportunity to play football again. I have been through it all but with God, you can get through anything. I graduated with a Degree in Criminal Justice. Then God Bless me with an opportunity and the coaches from Tennessee Martin offered me for Grad school. My Goal to show them how I really appreciate everything. I’m so glad I always believed and had Faith in God. The good thing I have an opportunity to get my Master from Tennessee Martin.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• When I choose Texas over Tennessee not following the plan when Butch Jones was there. I can honestly I learned and the past is in the past we all learn.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• The memorable play against Memphis opening kickoff and big plays against Florida State.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• I ain’t going to lie. I listen to Kodak struggle because sometimes I relate trying to make it out the hood.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• I’m work hard and train even harder not just trying to be average.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• Hard to say because I had some dead old souls in my family I really miss.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• Kodak bopping
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Denzel Perryman
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• I would be both because teammates respect people that willing to listen and also have respect and will love to hear your side. We can teach each other it would help the team process and achieve its goals.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• None I barely be looking at people issues to be honest..
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I love to win but I also love to learn from both because you could never know too much it’s always something you can correct, to be honest.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My Family and the Role Model that also played the game. When it all comes down to it God is one the biggest because when times get rough he will never leave your side in the darkest moment of your life.