NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: DJ Coker, OL, Rhodes College
• Name: DJ Coker
• Height: 6’2
• Weight: 310
• Position: Left Tackle
• College: Rhodes College
• Twitter: coker_54
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• Buford GA, The accessibility, I live five minutes away from the Mall of Georgia which makes life easier on me when it comes to running errands and spending time with friends. My favorite spots at the Mall of Georgia are Barnes & Noble and Dicks Sporting Goods.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
1. Film Study
3. Strength and Conditioning
Film Study because it is what separates the good from the great. The ability to spend countless hours in the film room is a learned skill and must be mastered to become a true pro in the NFL. Tendencies and Traits are a huge part of the game, and knowing your opponent can allow for the slightest but significant leverage in football. Practice comes second because I believe you are what you repeatedly do. To play fast, you first must focus on practice and experiencing all different sorts of looks before its time to play at a game pace. At our level of football strength and conditioning is a must and almost everyone or everyone is fast and strong or else they would not be on the field. As the game of football continues to get faster, I believe O lineman need to be as good at taking on a bull rush as they are running down the field to block for a screen.
What do you worry about, and why
Outworked, at times, it is what drives me the most and pushes me the extra mile. eing
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- My senior year of high school I lost in the Finals of The Prep Slam wrestling tournament. I was devastated but the loss showed me that I had not reached my full potential. I eventually won the Individual State Championship later on in the season and I can credit the loss in the Prep Slam for making me even hungrier as the season progressed.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- My Tenacity and ability to relate to people
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- Medical Device Sales, Financial Advising, or Coaching
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- Family Member, because I love my family and want them around me as long as possible.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Michael Scott, because he is hilarious and stays true to himself.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it
- Growing up without my Father in my life. Difficult to deal with, but I have been surrounded by great men who have mentored me and led me in the right direction. I am a better person due to all of their leadership and guidance.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- My sophomore year Anthony Batey from Berry College beat me so badly that my entire outlook on the game of football changed. From then on I promised myself I would approach the game differently.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- First play of my first start against Willamette was a touchdown thrown into double coverage. A great way for the offense to start off the season.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- “I Can” by Nas
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- The ability to lead through having
a genuinecompassion for my teammates and the commitment to learn how the organization operates.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why
- My Grandpa, because it would make my Mothers day and I would love to see the smile on both of their faces when it happened.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Nom nom nom
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
- QUENTON MEEKS
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why
- Respect, because it is earned and normally means you have a good grasp and understanding for the people you are working with and the goal that has been set.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Adrian Peterson, because from what I have seen he is a great man. Poor Judgment arose in his life and I think he did a good job of making a positive out of his adversity.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- HATE to lose
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why
Mymother, she has made so many sacrifices for my siblings and Iand surrounded us with people who had our best interest in mind. She raised me single handedlyand did everything she could do to make sure I had everything I needed and wanted. Ultimately I always feel her presence throughout the day, she motivates me and I know her love is truly unconditional.