• At the time I loved the pick. But did Jacksonville actually reach on Blake Bortles? Once we saw all of the other QB’s drop, I began to wonder if the Jaguars had actually pulled the trigger too soon on Bortles.
• While I’m a fan of the player, it remains to be answered, was Sammy Watkins worth two 1st round picks & a 4th round pick? If he becomes A.J. Green or Julio Jones, the class of 2011, then it was worth the cost. If he does not develop into a Pro Bowl WR, then the cost of giving up next year’s 1st would haunt the Bills. In a perfect scenario, Watkins helps E.J. Manuel become the QB that the Bills envisioned.
• How much is hope worth? So much so that a room full of fans erupted at the news of the Browns drafting Johnny Manziel with the 22nd pick. Teddy Bridgewater & Derek Carr may end up being better QB’s, but the excitement of what you see on television from Manziel is enough to make a tortured fanbase erupt with happiness. In honesty, it was a sad sight.
• The fanbase that should have erupted with slight happiness? Thee Minnesota Vikings, getting the best QB on tape with the last pick of the 1st round (following trade-up with Seattle). Teddy Bridgewater is a pro-ready pocket-style passer with excellent instincts & ball placement. No, ESPN, showing a few of his incompletions on television does not make him a bad QB. Vikings might have the steal of the draft there.
• The reach of the draft? Taylor Lewan. Lewan is fine when the play stays in front of him. He’s a strong player in one on one contests, but he has problems with fast, edge rushers. So he gets to face Clowney and Robert Mathis a whole bunch in the Titans’ division. I personally feel that the team that grabs Morgan Moses today, gets a better all-around OT.
• Houston Texans may survive this thing after all. Derek Carr may not end up being Teddy Bridgewater, and they were oh-so close to landing Bridgewater at 33, but Carr is a nice option to pick up & run with after going with Clowney 1st. Carr is a far better option than Jimmy Garoppolo or Tom Savage, 2 guys that pundits assumed they would be forced to pick early in round 2 after a run on QB’s. But alas, Carr fell to them. This Carr may do better in Houston than the last.
Follow me on twitter at @FCSSscoutDo you follow the NFL Draft? If so follow NFL Draft Diamonds on Twitter and Facebook for up to date NFL Draft News, NFL Draft Projections, and NFL Draft Rankings. Jesus is the only way to Salvation