NFL Draft Diamonds Free Agent Interview: Josh Jenkins, Defensive Back
Hello, I am @jrberendzen on Twitter and this is one of my free agent interviews where I ask very deserving free agents questions about the players themselves and about what a team would get in these players. All of these players should get picked up by NFL, CFL, and XFL teams and get a shot at being a career football players. So I hope you all read this interview about Josh and follow his journey on social media!
1.What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- Football is my first love. I became every aspect of the man I wanted to become due to the hardship and triumphs of football.
2. If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Charles Woodson is the player I’d most like to meet and emulate. His versatility over his career is only matched, in my mind, by the also great Rod Woodson. I think his mental part of the game is what set his apart from athletes that may have had the same athletic attributes of his caliber. I think it would be a full day of football chalk talk and more.
3. What should we know about Josh Jenkins the person
- Josh Jenkins the person is a resilient, goal-oriented trend setter. I think my game reflects my intensity but also the joy at which I enjoy my life.
4. What are you hoping to achieve as a football player going forward?
- I hope and plan to become the most important and inspirational player the league never saw coming. Kurt Warner for defense.
5. What is your typical training routine?
- My training routine consists of early morning and late nights. It helps that I train other athletes at a gym. 6am’s and 8pm’s are where I sharpen my sword and improve on my weaknesses while bullet proofing my body.
6. Rank focus,footwork and skill. Based on what is most important to you as a football player and explain why?
- My focus and mental preparation translate positively to my game more than my skill or footwork could ever imagine. I believe next is my skill. Footwork is only one component of my skills, an important and necessary skill that promotes all most of my skills but doesn’t encompass every part of it. Slow deliberate eyes = fast feet.
7. What sets you apart from other defensive backs?
- My versatility is what sets me apart from other DBs. I consider myself an in-between of Tyrann Mathieu and Kam Chancellor. Good clean tackling with a ball hawk mentality.
8. What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- My energy is contagious. I’m a leader who is not afraid to talk yet keeps everyone on their toes with my wit and play.
9. How do you handle challenges both in life and on the football field?
- Head-on. No one can stop you from what’s meant for you. My life is full of twist and turns but I know my resilience will continue to move me forward in life and in football.
10. What would a team get in a player like you?
- Any team will receive the hardest worker in the room. A glue guy for teammates. An energized and an outstanding role player who is not afraid to lead.
11. What is your favorite coverage and why?
- My favorite coverage is man to man. No excuses. No help. Welcome to my idea of a gladiator ring. Let the best man win. I’ve been preparing, I hope my opponent has.
12. What is a moment that improved you as a football player?
- The moment I realized the team would always be bigger than me. I lost football due to an injury and I realized the world went on without me. I take that thought into every aspect of my life.