NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Tyler Williams, CB, University of Toledo
Name: Tyler Williams
College: University of Toledo
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• Im from Boston Ma, I love the fact that its a big city, it reminds me that anything is possible, coming home from other states brings a feeling of pride because of how much goes on in Boston Ma, and at the same time I like it because not that many people here are into Football so training is easy because there isnt that many distractions, because most people are focused on other things.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• 1, Strength and Conditioningbecause you need to be in the shape to perform the tasks asked of u on the field, without being in shape it doesn’t matter how much film you watch because you will be to out of shape to make a difference, and practice will eventually get u in shape but being in peak physical condition first is most important.
2, Practice once you’re in the shape needed to perform the tasks asked of you, you need to perfect everything, there has to be an obsession, because you want your muscles to be so used to the football movements that the movements become second nature, (Muscle Memory)
3, Film Study is what separates really good athletes from great, alot of athletes are in shape and practice alot, but only few take film serious, you can use film as a way to correct the mistakes you’re making in practice before you even make them in a game, not to mention it helps you pick up the tendencies of your opponent and even your own tendencies
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about not reaching/showing my full potential, I’ve dedicated my whole life to football since I was 11, from running hills with a weight vest and boots up the steepest hills in Boston, to get to my 4.30 forty yard dash time, to the countless hours of training every day on the field, to become elusive and explosive, to catching passes everyday even if im sick, Ive worked to hard not to show what Im capable of and sometimes I feel like its out of my control because I need a coach to take a chance on me, even though I have film, what if they don’t take a chance.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• Ii graduated highshool with a 1.9 Gpa, I failed myself as a student, I couldn’t sign to any FBS Division one school, so I had to go juco, I ended up graduating with honors from Roxbury Community College and the rest has been history, multiple dean list awards at the University level and more, I told myself even though I felt like training was more important than homework in highschool, which is why I neglected my studies, in order to train that it was a foolish mindset and now I have to get myself out of that situation, and I did.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• That Im reliable, you can depend on me, and Im a perfect balance between serious and a funny person, a football season is too long and mentally/physically draining to always be serious, you need some laughs in there sometimes.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Kyzir White, I played with him at Lackawanna College in Juco, and played against, Alvin Kamara who had a stint at Hutch Community College when I was at Dodge City Community College and at Tennessee when I went there.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• If I couldn’t play football I’d be a position coach, I feel like I have so much knowledge on all the skill positions because I’ve played all of them at one point or another, also I can relay that information to others which is most important.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• Room, That has the most items in there, its going to take the longest to clean, so get it out the way first.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• Selfishly I would want to save my family member because I know them, but saving three lives is more of an impact than one.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Superman, He can fly and has super strength why not.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My College career hasn’t gone the best, I have friends I’ve played with and started over at one point in college in the NFL, so staying positive and not comparing my path with theirs is a daily struggle but I maintain because everyones path is different.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• Graduating highschool with a 1.9 gpa, thats embarrassing.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• I dont think I have one honestly.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• “Gotta Make It To Heaven” – 50 Cent.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• My Iq, and speed, everyone is big and have some speed but not everyone runs a 4.3 flat and play with that speed, also I have studied the game endlessly so I feel like I have an edge on most.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My Grandmother, to ask her if shes proud of me.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• One Night.
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
• John Ross just a waste of speed because he cant control it and its so predictable.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Respected, someone can like u but have no respect for u therefore they do stuff behind you back, with respect none of that happens.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Sean Taylor, had the potential to be the best safety ever, but his gang affiliation off the field followed him.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Hate to lose !
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My Mother, no matter what she been through she keeps pushing forward, so she showed me why cant I do the same, the same goes for my Father but, thats what Men are supposed to do be Men, I commend My Mother way more.