2019 NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Justin Fitzpatrick, Safety, Western Illinois University.
- Justin Fitzpatrick
- Western Illinois University
- Twitter: @JustinFitz10
2017 Accolades & Statistics:
- 2017 All-Missouri Valley Conference Second Team.
- 57 Total Tackles – 4.5 TFL – 5 INTs – 2 FF
What is your name?
- Justin Fitzpatrick.
Where do you play College Football?
- Western Illinois.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’0” 195lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Baseball and basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Probably Dallas Goedert (TE South Dakota State 2013-2017; 2018 Round 2, Pick 17, Philadelphia Eagles) or Chris Streveler (QB University of South Dakota 2016-2017; 2018 Winnipeg Blue Bombers, CFL).
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- I listen to “World’s Greatest” by R. Kelly right before we hit the field.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I’ll say a prayer, the same thing every time. I do it before every baseball game too.
Who is your role model & why?
- My father, he has been a perfect example of what it means to be a successful family man and how to take care of a family. My biggest goal is to be as good of a father he is.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was probably Video Production and my least favorite class would have to be business law, which was terrible.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- I’d say just meeting people that I can call lifelong friends.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- The Rams, and probably Michael Vick. I loved the way he played and this was back when I thought I was going to be a quarterback prodigy.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Most likely Willie Beamen from Any Given Sunday.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- My dad, Martin Luther King Jr, Chance the Rapper.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jackie Robinson, I’d love to ask him about the struggles that he went through and take any advice.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- The Black Green Lantern, I really can’t tell you, I’ve just always liked him.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Hard work to me is doing something to the best of your abilities, with 100% effort.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- That your rest and mental health is more important than anything.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- I wish I could tell myself what type of potential I had so that way I could start working towards my goals earlier in life.
Why do you wear #30?
- That’s the number they gave me when I got on campus so I thought I’d make it my own.
What is the best part of your hometown, O’Fallon, MO?
- I always tell people that O’Fallon, Missouri on the 4th of July is one of my favorite places to be. The city has a huge Freedom Festival down the street from my house and my friends and family have been going since I can remember. The overall atmosphere of the city around the 4th is something that I love
You also play outfield on the WIU Baseball team. What is it like to be a two-sport athlete while also being a full time college student?
- It’s not easy, but I love it and it’s what I signed up for. So many people have told me that I couldn’t do what I’m doing right now. I never take a day for granted. It also helps having a strong support system to help you get through tough times. Having Steve there with me makes it easier knowing that someone’s going through the same thing I am.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
- Honestly… LeBron, I’ve never seen Jordan play so I really have nothing to compare to. All I know is that I’ve never seen a professional athlete make dominating a game look so easy. It’s actually laughable.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- I’ve always been a PlayStation guy but I just recently bought a PS4. The only game that I have and play right now is MLB The Show 18.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Last game of the regular season freshmen year we beat SDSU in double overtime. It was one of the COLDEST games I’ve ever played in. That win also put us in the playoffs.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- For my friends and family to be in good health for the rest of their lives.
What is your hidden talent?
- I used to sing in talent shows until I got to high school.
If there is a book written about Justin Fitzpatrick, what is the title?
- I have been so fortunate to have such a great life up to this point filled with people that I don’t deserve. I’m always thankful for the life that God has given me.
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- See an MLB game in every stadium,
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- I actually just finished the first season of Mindhunter on Netflix. I’m incredibly intrigued by criminology and serial killer shows/movies so I loved it
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Depending on how busy I am and how nice it is outside, I’d probably use it to go for a walk. It’s nice to get out and enjoy life without worrying about anything for a while. Walks help me clear my head.
If you could intercept one NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- 100% Tom Brady. I feel like that would be an ultimate accomplishment. If I could ever intercept Tom Brady, I’d feel like I finally made it.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the Western Illinois University football team?
- Individually I’ve made a goal to be the best teammate I can be and also never miss an assignment the entire season. I know sometimes I’ll get beat and sometimes I won’t make the tackle but being where I need to be on the field is something that I can control and want to perfect. If play each game perfectly in regards to my assignment, everything else should take care of itself.
- I’d be lying if I said that this wouldn’t be one of the most challenging seasons we’ve had yet. But I’d also be lying if I said that I didn’t think my brothers and I are capable of winning a national championship. That’s always been the goal.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Justin Fitzpatrick, what would they be?
- Coachable, Intelligent, Caring.