NFL Draft Diamonds Interview: Malik Duncan, DB, Saint Francis University
- Malik Duncan
- Saint Francis University
What is your name?
- Malik Duncan.
Where did you play College Football?
- Saint Francis University.
What position do you play?
- Defensive Back.
What is your height/weight?
- 5’9″ and 198 lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- I played basketball for a couple of years.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Terrell Smith (SFU 2015).
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- The day before the game I like to listen to slow R&B songs and the morning before the game but when it is about to almost be game time I love to listen to Q da Fool (Catch up).
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I have to wear my Ray Bands I call those my primetime shades and I have to wear my coaches straw hat its more of a mental thing that I will get a turnover on game day.
Who is your role model & why?
- My parents and my siblings they all teach me so many different things and I try to out a sprinkle of all of their good traits into my life.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was my statistics class and least favorite was a math class I took sophomore year that was very challenging.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- I would say just being around my teammates and hanging out with them and a lot of us like to play video games especially Fortnite it helps me get my mind of things that bothers me.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite NFL team growing up was the Cleveland Browns and my favorite NFL player growing up was Deion Sanders.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- I would play Michael Oher in The Blind Side because he had to overcome a lot of obstacles to get to where he want to be and it just applies to my life.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- My grandmother (Deceased).
- My Mom.
- My mothers, sister, my auntie Marie who just passed away.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- If I could meet Dr. King when he was alive that would have been cool to me because I just have so many questions on how he handled things.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Superman because he is not scared of anything but I also like the flash just because he is super fast.
What is your definition of hard work?
- My definition of hard work is just never giving up and just giving your all every time you get a chance just putting your best foot forward.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- I learned that you have to make time for everything and stay organized.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- I just would tell him that he should of played for the high school team instead of sitting that year out and playing little league still.
Why do you wear #1?
- For the past couple years at SFU Cleveland guys wore #1, my good friend Omar Winston wore #1 and then helped Khairi Dickson get into St. Francis who then wore #1 then Khairi and I went to the same high school and he then he got me to SFU.
What is the best part of your hometown, Cleveland, OH?
- That you are going to learn how to be tough and grind for what you want in life through people hating on you and through a lot of adversity.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Xbox one and Fortnite and 2k.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- The time I passed my Finance class and I finished this 25 page paper with a high B and that was a very challenging class for me.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- I watch Netflix sometimes.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I do and I have a planner so I follow my planner of things I have to do every day.
If there is a book written about your life so far, what is the title?
- “21 Chronicles of Malik Duncan, Never Give Up.”
2017 saw you receive quite a few honors (Buck Buchanan Award Finalist, All-America selection by College Sports Madness, HERO Sports, Phil Steele and STATS FCS; first team All-NEC, team captain), what makes you proudest out of those accomplishments?
- I wish we would of went to the playoffs to compete for a National title but to be an All American is just so amazing, everything I went through and to leave college as an All American is just so unreal.
You allowed only three catches to NEC opponents in 2017. Out of all your skills, what sets you apart from other DBs around the country?
- I don’t give up touchdown’s nor do I give up the big plays, If you watched all 45 games I played you can count on one hand how many deep balls I gave up in my career, That is tough to do at corner so I’m surprised it went unnoticed. I also can tackle not too many corners want to tackle running backs.
You majored in Criminal Justice, what made you pursue that subject?
- I changed to become a marketing Major; I like to interact with people.
If you could intercept one NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Tom Brady because he is known to tear defenses apart and picking off a pass from him would be amazing.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Malik Duncan, what would they be?
- Hard Worker