Draft Diamonds Free Agent Interview: Caleb Kinlaw, Running Back
Hello, I am @jrberendzen on Twitter and this is one of my free agent interviews where I ask very deserving free agents questions about the players themselves and about what a team would get in these players. All of these players should get picked up by NFL and CFL teams and get a shot at being a career football player. Follow Caleb Kinlaw’s journey on Twitter as well, @Boogie_32
1.What have been your favorite moments from your football life?
- Winning the state championship in high school would probably be my most favorite because it was the first-ever for my high school. In college, I would say it was beating Michigan in the 2018 Outback bowl.
2.What is your favorite workout?
- I prefer anything football related over just normal weightlifting. Anything to polish footwork and on-field muscle memory.
3.What is your mindset when you are on the football field?
- Be physical and win my one on ones. I like to think of each play or part of a play as a rep. I have a one on one with someone and I either win or lose. My mindset is to win them all.
4.What has been your biggest challenge in life?
- My biggest challenge football-wise would probably be just learning my body. I have sickle cell trait and didn’t know until my Junior year of college. I always had soft tissue injuries and never knew why. Once I found out, I was able to learn what to eat, how to train, and how to manage myself so that I can prevent injuries. My biggest challenge in life outside of football would be me being hard on myself. I think sometimes I’m a perfectionist and when I lose or make mistakes, I tend to be very hard on myself.
5.If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Richard Sherman. I would like to just be around him and learn his methods for learning his opponents and apply it. I think he’s a great example of just what it means to utilize your platform to the fullest.
6.What is your favorite dinner?
- Fried fish, red rice, collard greens and macaroni.
7.What do you hope to accomplish if you make it into the NFL?
- Football-wise I would want to win a super bowl and make it to at least a few pro bowls. I want to be one of the most consistent RBs in years to come. Off the field, I would like to use my platform to advocate for sickle cell traits in athletes as well as mental health awareness specifically in athletes and with minority men.
8.What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- It wasn’t really a conscious decision. I was born into it. My father, brother, uncle and a few cousins all played and all except my father made it to the NFL.
9.If your life was a tv show what would you call it and why?
- Uncle Boogie. All of the teams I’ve been on they always view me as the old head who’s wise. A lot of my teammates would call me Unc and Boogie is my nickname.
10.What would a team get in a player like you?
- A selfless, hard worker. I take pride in doing a lot of the dirty work like pass pro and special teams. I’m not stat oriented, I’m win oriented. I’m a leader, a great teammate and a student of the game.
11.If you were on an island and could only have three things which three things would you have?
- A machete, Bible and phone.
12.If you could live anywhere in the world where and why?
- Canada. I’ve always heard it’s nice there and the economy is supposedly strong.