- Name: Peyton Kendrick
- Height: 6’2
- Weight: 218lbs
- Position: Quarterback
- College: Western New Mexico University
- Twitter: @kendrick_peyton
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• My hometown of Hattiesburg, Mississippi really is a great little town. Home of Southern Miss and NFL legend Brett Favre it has wonderful history of excellent football players. It really is the country though and it isn’t for everybody, but I love it because it is where I was born and I look forward to possibly live there again in the future.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Film Study: Has to definitely be NUMBER 1 especially as a Quarterback. You need it to study tendencies, understand coverages, and pick up on their blitzes!! Not to mention read their weaknesses and determine matchups you would like to exploit, while also coming up with a game plan. Not to mention you have to study yourself, and try your best to fix mistakes or weaknesses you have of yourself from practice to practice and game to game!
Strength and conditioning: I think the last two really are a toss up and you could choose either one, but I would have to say you need to be in great shape and conditioned well to practice and play in the games. That is why strength and conditioning is a major key for playing football you need strength, agility, speed, stamina, and much more to be successful.
Practice: Is always important no matter how you look at it. You need it to strategize against your next opponent, and come together as a team, as well as get better at the fundamentals and little aspects of the game. You are only as good as how hard as you practice because hard work can beat talent at any time!
What do you worry about, and why?
• My only worry in life is not going after everything I dream of. I don’t care about failure, because with failure comes lessons learned and ways to better yourself. But if you don’t try that is were you can miss out, because you can achieve anything you put your mind too.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• I have failed many times most recently was when I threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown in Junior college. That game stayed in the back of my head the rest of the year and I made sure I was never the cause of a loss again and I have yet to throw a pick 6 since! That season I went on to become a 1st Team All Conference and JUCO All American!
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• I believe my best quality my teammates would say is that I am a leader, a guy you can depend on, someone who will always be in your corner with support, and most importantly someone to help you and encourage you to get the best of your ability.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• The best player I have ever played against in college most definitely has been Zimari Manning! This guy is a freak he has NFL written all over him 1300+ yards an 22 ads is unheard of. I am glad I wouldn’t have to guard him because that is not my position, but he is hands down the best athlete I have ever seen, and I have played against guys that ended up making it into the NFL.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• My career would be a lot of things. I am blessed to say I am graduating with four different degrees Kinesiology, Psychology, Physical Education, and Rehabilitation and I really mind going into anyone of those fields, but I just don’t see myself getting away from football so I would hope to coach and possibly make my way over to an analyst position as well!
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• I clean my room first because growing up I was never allowed to leave it until was clean, then my desk which is in my room so they go hand in hand to even get out of my room to finally clean my car because who would want to ride around in someone else’s junk?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• I would have to say my family member, because although I would still live with regret of not helping strangers losing a loved one would kill me more even though I would do everything in my power to save all four even if it means risking my own life to do so!
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• BOOMER or Christopher James Berman from sports center. Boomer’s voice for my childhood is all I would envision when thinking of highlights I would make out in my head of me playing professionally!
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• It has to be growing up without a father then having to deal with not living with my mom since I was 13. It takes a toll to be the only kid to not have your parents come to your games, but it made me play harder to get other gratification from beating all odds when essential no one really believed in me.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• I was leaving a practice and I ran, jumped up, and split my head open on a door frame after practice a day before the game. I had to get 10 staples, but was still able to play and we got the win and I played very well.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• Most memorable play was the week I played our rival and had 5 touchdowns and 529 yards with the game winning 60 yard touchdown pass to win the game on fourth down with 35 seconds left. I got player national player of the week that week!!
What song best describes your work ethic?
• The song that describes my work ethic has to be ’till I collapse’ by Eminem, Miktek, and Nate Dogg. That song is just iconic and everything Eminem has ever done he has fought for and that is what I like to think of what my work ethic is. Which is fighting for something I want and going out there an achieving it without any excuses!
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• (Determination) I will never give up and with whatever adversity I have been dealt with in life it has never discouraged me or set me off my path of trying to accomplish my main goal. And that is be an NFL Quarterback and win championships!
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My grandfather Rudy Cardenas he was my father figure who helped me through a lot and had so many stories and life lessons. Even though he was only my grandfather through marriage he treated me like a son. He was a very special man and is still missed to this day!
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• My dance club would be The Luxe, because it just sounds interesting and luxurious. I just want it to roll of the tongue an attract anybody and everybody to feel invited to enjoy dancing.
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Minkah Fitzpatrick easily the MVP and defensive player of the year candidate. He has had this ability his whole career and know is finally being used the right way to express it. That is why he is underrated, but soon people will learn to respect him. It is only a matter of time.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• I don’t care for being liked because you can’t make people like you there are always going to be doubters and haters. But you can make people respect you and you do that by your actions so for sure I want to be respected!!
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Antonio Brown, being a Steeler fan it was hard to see that unfold it hurt more to know what he has come from which was literally nothing and how he made a name for himself just to watch it all get thrown away at his prime in his career!! There still is a chance like I say with everything for people to make things right and he has time to come back it is just whether or not it is what he wants and how he wants his legacy to be remembered, because as of right now it is pretty tarnished.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I love to win. Because it shows the hard work you have put in and the understanding of what it means to be a winner. Losing just gives you lessons on what to improve on so if you hate to lose I don’t think you’ll ever be able to get better, because like a GOAT once said “The key to success is failure”.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
•The biggest influence in my life has easily been my fiancé! No matter what I have been through all the ups and downs she has always been by my side and supporting me. She is my number one fan, biggest supporter, and best coach to ever have on your side. She really is the rock in my life and I would do anything to make it to show that all our hard work has finally paid off!