- McKinley Whitfield
- University of Tulsa
2017 Accolades & Statistics
- 2017 American Athletic Conference Honorable Mention
- 113 Total Tackles – 6.0 TFL – 1 INT
What is your name?
- McKinley Whitfield.
Where do you play College Football?
- The University of Tulsa.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’3″ 217lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Basketball, Track, and baseball until I got in high school.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Probably Anthony Miller (WR Memphis 2013-2017; Chicago Bears, 2018 Round 2 Pick 51) and Courtland Sutton (WR SMU 2014-2017; Denver Broncos, 2018 Round 2 Pick 40).
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes, it has to be Young Dolph, Future, or Lil Boosie.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I have to wear 2 pairs of socks.
Who is your role model & why?
- My biggest role model is my dad, just because he has taught me everything I know on and off the field. He is somebody who has always been in my corner for me helping me out.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My least favorite class would be Spanish without a doubt. And I don’t really have a favorite class but I do like history classes.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Meeting new people.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- I never had a favorite NFL team growing up, but my favorite NFL player was Sean Taylor. I liked him so much because he is a tall and physical safety like I consider myself, so I just loved watching him play the game.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Any Given Sunday, Willy Beaman.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- MLK, Malcom X, and Obama.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jackie Robinson. I would just like to talk about the adversity he had to go through for us to have the opportunity to play sports. And what pushed him so much?
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Black Panther, because he has a whole nation behind him.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Pushing myself beyond the limits even when my mind is telling me to stop.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Do what is best for you in the future, not anybody else.
Why do you wear #5?
- I have an older cousin named Brian that was crazy athletic and we all just looked up to him.
What is the best part of your hometown, Spiro, OK?
- Just growing up in a small town, everybody in the town knows everybody so it’s all family in a way.
You were 2nd in the FBS in Total Tackles by a DB (113). What about your game gives you such a nose for the ball?
- I have just always had a nose for the football since I have been kid, and my older brother and cousins have always preached to me about being a dog on the field. So every play is a race to the football in my eyes.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- PS4 and Fornite.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Just getting to travel and play the game I love.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- NFL, Super Bowl champion, and Hall of Famer.
What is your hidden talent?
- I go fishing a lot when I go back, and I am pretty good at that.
If there is a book being written about McKinley Whitfield, what is the title?
- My Journey.
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Visit Africa and Jamaica, and jump out of a airplane.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- All or Nothing Dallas Cowboys.
If you could intercept one NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Tom Brady.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the University of Tulsa football team?
- First Team All-Conference, lead the nation in turnovers, and win the conference championship then a New Year’s Six Bowl!
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in McKinley Whitfield, what would they be?
- Humble, Hardworking, and dedicated.