Damond Talbot 2023 Mock Draft: Notable Picks from Draft Diamonds Owner & Final Predictions
The NFL Draft is here! I wanted to put together one last piece and try to make it all make sense. These things are hard as hell to hit, but I feel this year is going to be a very unpredictable one.
I wanted to give my final Mock Draft of the Year. Let’s see what you think, with Analysis on every pick. Good Luck tonight! I hope everyone is happy with their picks!
- Carolina Panthers – Bryce Young, QB, Alabama – The Carolina Panthers traded up to one and need to take Bryce Young. I think they had the intentions of taking him from the rip, but when it comes down to it he is a safe pick.
- Houston Texans – Will Anderson – He is the best defensive end in this draft class. He is the closest to the Bosa brothers, and I feel he is a safe pick. The Texans have hit on DE’s in the past with JJ Watt and Mario Williams.
- TRADE with Cardinals – Tennessee Titans – CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State – Tennessee Titans need a quarterback, they have not been shy about shopping Ryan Tannehill and have been pretty blunt about Malik Willis. Ran Carthon lands the quarterback he wants to build a franchise around before the Colts select.
- Indianapolis Colts – Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida – Chris Ballard is not a person to say much, but in his interview when he said the media is so wrong about where they go, it makes me believe Anthony Richardson is the pick over Will Levis.
- Seattle Seahawks – Tyree Wilson, DE, Texas Tech – This is an easy pick for the Hawks, they want a top rated pass rusher and they get one at 5th overall.
- Detroit Lions – Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois – Witherspoon screams Detroit Lions to me. A mean SOB with tackling skills. He is not afraid to lay wood, and plays with tenacity. This is a fun pick for the Lions.
- Las Vegas Raiders – Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon – Gotta take Gonzalez one of the best cover corners in the draft. He is a big and athletic player with great hands and ball skills.
- Atlanta Falcons – Peter Skoronski, OL, Northwestern – Yes, Bijan Robinson is there, but you have to protect your new young quarterback. There will be running backs later in the draft, you cannot miss on a top tier offensive lineman.
- Chicago Bears – Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia – The Bears wanted him at 1, and they waited patiently for everything to unfold. Now they trade down to 9 and still get their guy. Bears need a nasty player on their defensive line.
- Philadelphia Eagles – Nolan Smith, DE, Georgia – The Eagles were hoping Jalen Carter would fall to them, and while Bijan Robinson is still there, Howie has never picked a running back in the top 10. I do not see that happening tonight either.
- TRADE with Cardinals – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Will Levis, QB, Kentucky – The Buccaneers have Baker Mayfield and Kyle Trask. Neither are the future. Let’s face it. Jason Licht is a smart guy and he pulls the trigger to move up 8 spots and get his future quarterback.
- TRADE with Texans – Baltimore Ravens – Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas – The Baltimore Ravens pull off a big trade to move up and land the top running back in the draft as he slides. The Texans pick up additional picks and will be on the clock at 22.
- Green Bay Packers – Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah – The best tight end goes to the Green Bay Packers at fifteen. This gives Jordan Love a security blanket for his first year as as starter.
- New England Patriots – Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State – The Patriots get Mac Jones a top rated wide receiver who can come in and make plays. The Pats have been lacking that for quite some time.
- New York Jets – Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State – The New York Jets land the best offensive tackle in the draft by sitting still. Many thought they would take Broderick Jones but Johnson is a better all around player and protecting Aaron Rodgers is going to be important.
- Washington Commanders – Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State – The Commanders land one of the toughest corners in the draft with a great bloodline.
- Pittsburgh Steelers – Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia – The Steelers land a massive offensive lineman to help protect Kenny Pickett in 2024. Solidifying the line is key for Mike Tomlin and the Steelers.
- Detroit Lions – Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa – Adding a pass rusher like Lukas Van Ness at 18 is insane. When you imagine him teaming up with Aidan Hutchinson it could be a very vicious tandem.
- Arizona Cardinals – Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee – The Cardinals still get an offensive lineman to protect Kyler Murray after trading down twice. Cardinals love his versatility.
- TRADE with Seahawks – Kansas City Chiefs – Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College – The Kansas City Chiefs trade up from 31 to take a wide receiver they feel has Tyreek Hill vibes. They had to keep him away from the Chargers.
- Los Angeles Chargers – Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame – The Chargers really wanted a slot wide out and the Chiefs jumped them. So the Chargers do the next best thing and select one of the most reliable tight ends in the class.
- Houston Texans – Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee – The Texans trade back and still land a very good and solid quarterback. The Texans can groom him and not rush him, but he will compete for the starting job.
- Minnesota Vikings – Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State – The Vikings were hoping Hendon Hooker would be here, but that did not work out for them. They end up going cornerback to help replace Patrick Peterson.
- TRADE with Jaguars – Philadelphia Eagles – Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan – The Dallas Cowboys have interest in the massive run stuffer and the Eagles need to stack up their line.
- New York Giants – Myles Murphy, DE, Clemson – The Giants waste no time running to the podium. Murphy should not have still been on the board. He was easily a top 15 pick.
- Dallas Cowboys – Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh – The Cowboys take the a player who is considered the top defensive tackle in the draft. He is a little short, but he is explosive on the field.
- Buffalo Bills – Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson – The Bills have tons of areas they could go, but their defensive line is rough. With a ton of expiring contracts, the Bills have to take the Clemson pass rusher. He fits the mold of what the Bills are trying to build. Don’t panic Bills fans, they get D-Hop in a trade to fill the WR position.
- Cincinnati Bengals – Brian Branch, S, Alabama – The Bengals land the best safety in the draft and he comes in and immediately takes over for Jessie Bates III.
- New Orleans Saints – O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida – The Florida interior ass-kicker who has not allowed a sack in four years lands on a team to protect Derek Carr.
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland – The Jaguars get a very aggressive cornerback that can come in day one and start. I love this pick for the Jags.
- Seattle Seahawks – Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU – Are you kidding me? You let the Seahawks land QJ and put him opposite of DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. Geno Smith is about to get better……