- Name: Andrew Whitaker
- Position: DB
- College: Washington University in St. Louis
- Height: 6’1″
- Weight: 185 lbs.
- Twitter: @awhit48
- Instagram: @awhit27
What do you think are the keys to success on the football field?
- My competitive gene but I like to compete to win, and I have this clutch gene where I always want to do what it takes to do it and that no one can beat you and also at corner you need speed but skill also and anticipation of the next play and trust your speed.
What sets you apart from other defensive backs?
- First thing would be my attention to detail to know how to use your technique, speed, and strength. So as an example on special teams I’m a gunner and I really focus on what I need to do. I have good speed, I like having good energy and making sure my teammates get interceptions and in track and field making sure the hurdlers they are good and more than 2 All Americans not just me. And making sure the team has good energy and my leadership and knowing everyone has to do what it takes to win.
What is your favorite coverage and why?
- Man coverage, I like being on an island. I like it most following a wide receiver. And at the end of the day dominating the other man on the football field 1 on 1 is nice.
If there was a billboard with 5 of your traits on it which 5 traits would be up there?
- Leadership, energy, winner, obsessive and IQ.
What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- A lot of guys this is there only way out but I’m a division 3 football player who can have his pick of medical school and do whatever he wants but after that I chose football and division 3 football players don’t get scholarships and I still choose to go out there to compete and win and the intangibles that separate me from the average football player I wish there was a metric for those things.
What should we know about Andrew Whitaker the person?
- I’m a servant leader one of my biggest goals is give back to the community. And I think I have shown my servant abilities again and again at Wash U.
What are your favorite moments your football life?
- One of them would be watching a teammate get an interception that I taught them to do in practice and in game that a teammate did an interception just like I did and I just absolute crazy when that happened. Also blocking a field goal against North Central who is in our conference and it went from 14-0 to 14-7 and that totally changed the game.
What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- I elevate people’s level of play every time whether that means talking trash to elevate your level of play I’m going to do my best to elevate everyone everyday.
If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Deion Sanders, I would just want to learn from him and his techniques and how he gets into other people’s heads.
What would a team get in a player like you?
- I think they would get a huge piece to a super bowl team. I want to push the intensity and do whatever it takes to win.
How do you handle challenges both in life and on the football field?
- I think the best way to handle challenges is take them head on and go brick by brick like building a house getting through them.
How are you planning to prepare for the draft?
- I think getting in the best shape of your life getting better everyday and doing things that make you uncomfortable.