I am a huge Buffalo Bills fan, but I thought this was the year they would be able to get past the Kansas City Chiefs and with 13 seconds, my team fell apart. Even though the Rams won the Super Bowl this year, the Chiefs and the Bills still have the best odds to win the big game next year.
The Super Bowl odds for 2023 have opened and turns out, the current champions are not favorite to win. The Kansas City Chiefs opened as +650 (odds via SportsBettingDime.com) favorites to win the championship title next year.
The Bills are right behind the Chiefs with +700, and then the Rams follow them.
- Kansas City Chiefs +650
- Buffalo Bills +700
- Los Angeles Rams +1000
- Cincinnati Bengals +1200
- San Francisco 49ers +1400
Here is my question though, how can the Bills get past Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? The year before the Bills could not get to Mahomes so they went out and spent two early draft picks on pass rushers. The Chiefs on the other hand went out and loaded up on offensive lineman. The Bills had the Chiefs on the ropes this year and with 13 seconds left were winning the game. The Bills made tons of adjustments but on that final drive of the fourth quarter they became conservative playing prevent defense to not give up the big play but allowed the Chiefs to hang around.
So here are a few things I believe the Bills can do to get better. Five steps I would take to beat the Chiefs.
- Tre’Davious White returning – The Bills star cornerback and shutdown corner was out against the Chiefs. I am not sure the Chiefs are able to throw the ball around the way they did with White in the line-up.
- Acquire a star pass rusher – I do not care what it takes the Bills are spending 9 million plus on both Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison. The Bills have space to go get a stud. Maybe landing a Chandler Jones who is from Upstate New York would want to come home. He is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and he could cause problems and teach the younger players.
- Draft a CB in the first round – The Bills need to find a cornerback opposite of Tre’Davious White. The Bills were able to keep Taron Johnson in the slot which is huge, but if they can find themselves a solid number 2 corner that can cover then I believe it would be an upgrade for the Bills.
- Sign a veteran quarterback – Right now, the Buffalo Bills have one quarterback on their roster and that is great, but if something happens to Allen they have no back-up. The Bills should go find a veteran that would love to help Josh Allen. Maybe a guy who is smart…. Like Ryan Fitzpatrick? Just saying, he went to Harvard and has the highest wonderlic score ever in the NFL. That may help.
- Trade for a star running back – I know many Bills fans will not like this, but find a way to get a Saquon Barkley, or Christian McCaffrey. Yes, they both have injury issues, but if you can get them on the cheap do it. Barkley and McCaffrey become a weapon for Josh Allen in a checkdown situation. The Bills could give up a draft pick in next year’s draft and try to shoot their shot to win the big game.
I think the Bills are on the right path, but if they want to win right now they have to make some changes. What do you think? Can the Bills get the win over the Chiefs?