NFL DraftProspect Interviews
Hula Bowl Spotlight Interview: Nick Starkel, QB, San Jose State | Presented by Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute
- Name: Nick Starkel
- Position: QB
- College: San Jose State University
- Height: 6’4
- Weight: 210
- Twitter: @nickstarkel
- Instagram: @Nick.starkel
What are you hoping to show scouts at the 2022 Hula Bowl?
- I’m hoping to show scouts that I am an intelligent player that can make all of the throws and reads that are asked of him. I’d also like to show that I can adapt to a new system quickly and execute a game plan on a short week of practice.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- I would donate to the Wounded Warrior Foundation. Both of my parents are veterans and I feel like we can do a much better job as a country taking care of those who sacrificed so much for us and our freedoms.
Tell our readers one thing that the world may not know about you? (Special Talents)
- I did theatre and acting for 8 years and I originally thought about going to a school for acting.
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- Tell those who you love and appreciate exactly how thankful you are for them, because one day you might not be able to.
What is your favorite song to listen to before kickoff?
- I actually don’t listen to music pre-game. I love to hear the environment that we’re playing in. That way the game never feels too loud.
If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
- A ram. Resilient, tough, and sometimes hard heading and willing to prove it.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- My biggest adversity in life would honestly be the number of times I was benched, or told to switch positions in high school. I had to bet on myself and really believe that I had it in myself to come out on top.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- Young Tom Brady. Smart with the ball, great pre-snap process, and quick decision maker.
Did you have a favorite player or team in the NFL when you were growing up?
- Tom Brady and the New England Patriots
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- My best friend Luke Laufenberg who passed away in 2019, his dad Babe, and my Dad. I think that would make us all really happy and bring tears of joy to our eyes.