2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Xavier Ward, DL, South Dakota State University
- Name: Xavier Ward
- Position: DL
- College: South Dakota State University
- Height: 6’2″
- Weight:280 lbs
- Instagram: @xavierxw
1. What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
I feel like I bring hard work and talent and I feel like the energy I bring out there is that I bring energy with a purpose.
2. If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
Aaron Donald, I feel like we have a similar playing style and that we both have a quick twitch so it would be Aaron Donald.
3. What sets you apart from other defensive linemen?
What sets me apart is that I work hard and I feel like my hard work and ability sets me apart and also my fast twitch and reliability.
4. What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
So I think the reason I became a football player was 1) I love football and 2) when I was younger I was a big kid. It just came natural to play football.
5. What are your favorite moments from your football life?
Playing the game and getting to know the guy next to me and football is a team sport and how football can bring people together.
6. How do you prepare for games?
I like to go over the transcript the coaches give us and go over the opponent’s plays and I like to take a nap and I like to have an hour of where I visualize what could happen in the game.
7. What is your favorite workout?
My favorite workout would be power clean. I like to work on explosive movements because I think that is a key for defensive tackles.
8. What are your favorite things about playing football for South Dakota State?
The fact that we are playing for the guy next to us, that we play fast and physical and that you are always trying to get better both as a player and as a person and that this South Dakota State University football team is very competitive.
9. What should people know about Xavier Ward the person?
That I’m hard working and that if you give me a challenge i will overcome it and I pay attention to the small details and I improve on those everyday and I play like it’s my last play every play.
10. What would a team get in a player like you?
That I am reliable and I will push the team to get better all day and everyday and I bring positive energy to the weight room, to the practice field and to meetings.
11. What are you looking forward to in your upcoming season?
I’m looking forward to playing my last season with my brothers and winning a national championship and I am looking forward to improve myself as a player and as a man.
12. What do you love about the game of football?
I love the physicality and the ability to showcase everything you’ve worked for. But mostly you get to hit people without consequences.