NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Matthew Barnes, TE, University of Louisiana
• Name: Matthew Barnes
• Height: 6’3
• Weight: 250
• Position: TE
• College: University of Louisiana
• Twitter: @Mattbarnes010
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• Groesbeck,TX. I love it because it’s a small town where everyone knows everybody and we are a very close community.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Practice, Film Study, Strength and conditioning. I feel you can learn a lot by physical and mental reps in practice.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about the Focus aspect of the game. It’s something I take seriously in ordered to be prepared.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• I feel I failed at my education on the high school level. I overcame that situation by taking my classes serious at the college level.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• Uplifting spirit
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Anfernee Jennings
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• Business Owner
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• Room, Desk, Car
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• Three strangers. It’s what my family member would’ve wanted me to do.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• I’d probably be Will Smith from Hancock. It’s just funny.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• Tearing my ACL. It made me look at the bigger picture in life. I start preparing myself for after ball.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• Getting Juked playing Ole Miss.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• Beating Arkansas State at home in 2016
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Snootie Wild– Stackin it and flipin it.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• My mental preparation.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• Bernie Mac, he is the funniest person ever.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Elijah McGuire
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Rather be respected because I’m not too worried about being liked by anyone. Respect goes a long way
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Shawn Oakman- he had an opportunity taken away from him because false allegations.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I love to win. Wins are hard to come by in any sport. Have to enjoy them. You learn from losses
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My mother. She went to prison for 5 years and came home and did her best to take care of me and my brothers.