NFL DraftNFL NewsProspect Interviews
2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Devin Heckstall, WR, UVA-Wise
- Name: Devin Heckstall
- Position: WR
- College: UVA-Wise
- Height: 6’5″
- Weight: 215 lbs
- Twitter: @Devinci_c0de
What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- Growing up my dad was the biggest football fan ever, it was something that we could bond with. I’ve been a Ravens fan ever since I can remember going to all the Ravens games and that’s where I fell in love with it.
If there was a billboard with 5 of your traits on it which 5 traits would be up there?
- Fast, long, tall, dynamic, and freakish.
What do you think are the keys to success on the football field?
- Discipline, consistency, and perseverance, if you stay on course and don’t let the small bumps in the road steer you off the road you will have success in this game.
What are you looking to achieve as a football player going forward?
- I want to play pro ball as long as I can where I can take care of my family. I want to win as many accolades as I can along with winning a championship somewhere.
What sets you apart from other wide receivers?
- My height and deceiving speed. How I can high point the ball and create mismatches in games.
If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Randy Moss has always been my favorite receiver, so I’d have to say him. Definitely would want to talk to him about the dos and don’ts of the league.
What should we know about Devin Heckstall the person?
- I’m one of the most genuine loving good vibe people around. Sometimes I do too much for others but at the end of the day, I just want to make the world a better place and I want to use football as my platform.
What are your favorite moments from your football life?
- My favorite moments from my football life had to come from junior college. In California living with 10 people in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom. But we had the best of times because we all were struggling together and we would help each other up.
What is your typical training routine?
- Depending on what day it is. Anything between bench press and upper body mixed with some routes on air and cone work at the field. Or a lower body day and rehab after. I try to pair things up with each other so I don’t over-exert my body.
What would a team get in a player like you?
- They’ll get a grinder. I can honestly say nobody in this draft class has taken the route I’ve taken and still stand on their feet to have a chance of going pro. I beat all the odds since my first years of playing football. Nobody thought I would be here. I live for proving people wrong so when I get my foot in the door I’m going to give it all I got until I physically can’t anymore.
What is your favorite route and why?
- A go ball thrown up top or a post because I can stride by people when running long distances.
What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- I bring good energy. Not the biggest vocal guy but my play speaks for itself so much that if I have to get vocal my team will listen because of what I bring to the game. I make the type of plays that flip the momentum of the whole game. One of the most exciting big receivers in the draft in my opinion.