2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jonatan Ward, P/K, Kentucky State University
- Name: Jonatan Ward
- Position: Punter/ kicker
- College: Kentucky State University
- Height: 6’3
- Weight: 200
- Twitter: Jonatan855
- Instagram: Jonatanpunt855
What makes you a top prospect at your position in the 2022 NFL Draft?
- In my senior season I’ve been able to be top 3 in the country for net punting and be consistently number 1 in my conference for punting and as well be top 10 in country for punting in my division. But most of what makes me a top prospect I am relentless in training I am relentless in my focus and contribute at the highest level to my team.
At what age were you first interested in the sport of football?
- I first fell in love with the sport of football at age 17. I know most people are probably thinking that is super late. But I didn’t get into the sport until my senior year of high school. Coming from a soccer background made it an easy transition to become a kicker.
What is one thing that NFL teams should know about you?
- That I’m super competitive and always competing against perfection. And I understand that success is earned but not given.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- Boys and girls club of America
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- The best advice I’ve ever got was from my head coach Charlie Jackson he always would say “fight the good fight, keep the good faith and finish the race”. These words always stuck with me in anything I did.
Who was your childhood hero?
- My father, because he always been there for me, supported me, and taught me the importance of how you present yourself.
Who is the most underrated teammate in your locker room at your school?
- It would 100% have to be Chuck Jones. Whenever this man made a tackle or hit, you could tell that the other player was hurting bad and didn’t want run in his direction again.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
- Loser mentality, I hate when people are negative and give up before it’s even over, you never know what might happen in life.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- The passing of my grandmother, she was a pivotal person in my life and she taught me that I could achieve anything that I put my mind to. Losing her to cancer felt like losing a piece of myself. I believe she would be very proud to see how far I’ve came and where I’m heading.
Tell me something about your school and why it is so special to you?
- I’m proud to be one of the few individuals who attended an HBCU and find it very important to support and produce successful graduates so that they can go back into their community and support their legacy.
What is your favorite snack food?
- Cinnamon pecan swirls
What is the best part of football?
- Getting to build a relationship with different types of people from different places with different backgrounds.
If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?
- Under promise over deliver.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- Ty Long the punter for the chargers he plays a very consistent directional turnover punt game and that’s exactly how I try to play as well.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- Warren Buffett, Kobe Bryant and Elon Musk the reason why is so I could ask them what’s something they wish they could go back and tell themselves when they were 18 years old?