Report: Former NFL player Colt Brennan died from overdose after attempting to check into detox program, but was denied
Colt Brennan the former Hawaii standout quarterback obviously realized he had a problem. According to People.com, Brennan’s cause of death was determined as an accidental overdose, caused by concoction of fentanyl, methamphetamine, amphetamine, and ethanol.
Brennan was just 37 years old at the time of his death. According to the article though, Brennan attempted to check into a detox facility, but was turned away due to shortage of beds. His father stated Colt was five months into a six month rehab program when he ingested something laced with fentanyl.
If you do not remember Colt Brennan he was one of the best quarterbacks ever in Hawaiian history. He set several NCAA records including the second most passing touchdowns in a single season with 58, the record later broken by Joe Burrow.
Brennan would go on to finish 6th in Heisman Trophy voting and he would eventually be drafted by the Redskins in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
Colt was struggling with alcohol and drug use, and had been arrested two times the year before his death. This is a problem all around the world right now.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, please contact the SAMHSA substance abuse helpline at 1-800-662-HELP.